Thursday, February 11, 2010

Juicy!



Spring is almost upon us and the days to bikini (or in my case, tankini) season are numbered. But as I’ve become a more mature haute mama and as I’ve worked harder in these last few months to get myself back into pre-baby shape, I can honestly say that I’ve learned to worry less about those last five lbs. and more about feeling healthy and knowing that I am treating my body in such a way that it won’t completely turn to flab by the time I’m 40. In short, I’m finally starting to feel good about the way my body looks (post-childbirth stomach “sack” included) and I’m determined to keep it that way. My sister, Tia K, aside from having some incredible mystery gene that obviously decided I was not worthy of its possession, keeps her infamously perfect, heart-shaped booty in tip-top shape with a healthy concoction that was passed down to her from an even more genetically blessed friend. Lindsey Borden, and her sister Lauren (basically just blonder, tanner and impossibly perfect-bodied versions of ourselves) are senior instructor and owner, respectively, of Pilates Manhattan in Manhattan Beach.

After spending a weekend with Lindsey and her six-pack, Kelly came home with a morning ritual that involves this super-energizing, intestine cleansing, and over-all health-boosting smoothie recipe:

1 tbs flax seed oil (learn more about the benefits of this amazing source of Omega 3 here)
3/4 cup of TJ's Aloe Vera Juice (it's not just for sunburns anymore- check it out)
1 tbsp of organic raw agave nectar
1- 2 tbsps. of Kefir or organic Greek yogurt ( good source of probiotics)
1/2 banana (room temp or frozen)
1/2 cup of frozen organic blueberries
1/2 cup of frozen organic mangos
1/4 cup of frozen organic strawberries or raspberries
1 scoop of whey protein powder (TJ's)
1/2 scoop of TJ's "Very Green" drink powder

All of these ingredients are available at your local Trader Joe's market. Added bonus- my kids love it- so it's a great way to sneak some greens & antioxidants into their diet. You may, however, want to ease up on the flax for the kiddie version- especially if diapers are involved (I learned this the hard way). I've just started this regimen so I'll let you know how it goes. Who knows- I may even be able to forgo the tankini and slip into this little Missoni-inspired number by Memorial day(hey- a girl can dream)!




3 comments:

  1. Chris and I are drinking this... we have been for a while... it is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no longer need a caffine fix after this smoothie in the morning - its awesome. I hope to be sharing that skimpy Missoni number with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I know the kids will love this too! Thx for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete