Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weelicious

For the most part, I think I've done a pretty decent job of raising my kids. They are generally polite, use their "please" and "thank yous", they share (with others, but not each other), go to bed like little angels and they do not hit, kick or bite.

Dinner time at our house, however, is a scene straight out of an episode of SuperNanny. I've allowed Max to develop some pretty terrible eating habits, mainly out of desperation because he is the world's pickiest and most suspicious eater (he's convinced that anything unfamiliar will probably taste like dog poop). Because of our work schedules and the boys' relatively early bedtimes, we rarely eat dinner as a family, and when we attempt to, the results are often disastrous. They generally prefer to stand on their chairs, if on them at all, so I spend the entire meal either repeatedly plopping them on their bottoms, or wrangling them back to their seats as they escape to play with toys or run in circles like wild animals. Every bite is coaxed in with a bribe, and by the time the meal is over, I'm typically so exhausted, that the thought of doing the dishes almost brings me to tears.

That's why, when I came across the site Weelicious, Catherine McCord's blog full of healthy recipes and food ideas for toddlers and babies, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to head to the store immediately and make every single dish, or simply add her to my list of people I hate because, who does she think she is anyways, with her kids that eat okra and shrimp cocktails?

After careful reflection, I've opted for plan C- pick a few of my faves and enlist Max to help me "cook" them. My one trick I've learned of late is that if I let Max feel as though he's contributed to the meal, he's always more eager to try what he's "cooked" so we can then brag about what a fantastic chef he is.

Here are a few of the dishes that I think chef Max and I will be whipping up in the next week or so:











And how cute are these?

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment